This stew combines seasonal root vegetables with cinnamon, cumin, and paprika and a splash of sweet coconut milk at the end. The list of ingredients may seem long, but this soup couldnt be simpler or more satisfying. (Recipe and Photo Credit: Emily Wiley; Recipe adapted from Taste of Home)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups worth)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- coconut milk to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or large stock pot. Add onions and sauté until soft. Add spices and cook for another minute.
- Stir in squash, potatoes, carrots, celery, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans and bring back to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and add about 2 tablespoons coconut milk to each.