Fried rice is endlessly variable and is a great way to turn leftover rice and vegetables into a quick and easy weeknight meal.
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (100g) chopped onion
- 1 cup (200g) mixed chopped vegetables (such as peppers, mushrooms, green onions)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 cups (350g) cooked white or brown rice, cooled to room temperature
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a wok or frying pan over high heat. When the oil is hot, gently crack eggs into the pan. Fry eggs until the whites are cooked through but the yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes. Remove the eggs with a spatula.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbsp. oil to the hot pan. Add the onion and vegetables. Stir-fry until onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and soy sauce, stirring to coat vegetables. Add rice and stir-fry until rice is heated through and begins to brown on the bottom of the pan, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, topping each serving with a fried egg.