If you love a great Lasagna, try this amazing vegan lasagna which appeals to the meat eater too!
- 1 cup bob's red mill textured vegetable protein (tvp)
- 1 cup water
- 1 can diced italian tomato
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt to taste (optional)
- 4 carrot
- 1/2 large yellow or white onion
- 3 garlic clove
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 zuchinni chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil or water whichever you prefer
- 1tb dried or fresh oregano
- 1 tb dried or fresh basil
- 2 jar of barilla pasta sauce
- 1 can diced italian tomato
- 1/4 cup red or white cooking wine
- 2 tb of earth's balance butter spread
- 1/2 cup water (if necessary)
- Textured Vegetable Protein or TVP is a very versatile, tasty, high protein substitute for meat. I use Bob's Red Mill brand. Place 1 cup of TVP in a bowl with 1 water. Let set 5 minutes until rehydrated. Once rehydrated, add 1 can of diced italian tomatoes, oregano, basil, and salt and mix allowing the flavor from the tomatoes and seasonings to combine with the TVP. Set aside.
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Chop up all the vegetables. I normally do this the night before to cut down on prep time but if you like use your food processor be my guest! Be sure to chop the veggies separately and intermittently in the processor on setting that will allow the veggies to be coarse not smooth.
- In a pot, add the olive oil and place on medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chopped vegetables. If you do not want to use oil, you can use water instead the vegetables will saute just as nice. Cook until the onions become translucent stirring often. Add oregano and basil stirring often until fragrant. Next stir in spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, cooking wine, and Earth's Balance. If necessary add water.
- Layering Lasagna
- Use a 13×9 inch pan sprayed with no stick cooking spray. I used an aluminum pan but forgot to spray it. To my surprise it didn't stick and I believe that is partly due to the way I layered the lasagna. Start with the pan and a laddle to scoop out your sauce. Put 2-2/1/2 laddles of sauce on the bottom of the pan. Add three lasagana noodle on top on top of the sauce. Note: the lasagna noodles should not be cooked. They will cook in the baking process and will be soft but firm. Then add 3 2tbs dollops of cashew cheese on top of each of the noodles. So each noodle will have 3 dollops of cashew cheese and each dollop will be about 2 tbs. Then do another layer of sauce, lasagna noodles and cheese. Continue to layer in that pattern until you have your pan full with the sauce being the last layer. Cover with foil and bake at 425 degrees in the oven for 1 hour. The last 10 minutes, I like to take the foil off to give the top of the lasagna a golden finish, however this is not necessary. Either way the lasagna will taste fantastic.
- Now make a great green salad, a nice garlic bread and enjoy this Amazing Vegan Lasagna!