Tacos are a family favourite but if you are vegan, you can find yourself avoiding them or missing out altogether. And that is a crime because good Mexican food should be enjoyed by all! So it is with great pleasure I am able to bring you this recipe for Tacos with avocado and soy protein. This is such a super simple dish to make and can be enjoyed by the entire family. Here at Vegan.io we love simple, but we also love tasty! And these taco’s are sure to tick both of those boxes. Let’s get those taste buds dancing and take a look at what you will need to complete this recipe. To make these tasty taco’s you are going to need 30 minutes, 13 easily accessible and common kitchen ingredients, and a craving for good Mexican food.This recipe has a high source of protein and a good source of carbs, making it the perfect meal to fill the stomach up. Now I know you might be worried about the carbs – don’t! We need carbs for our bodies to operate correctly. And I have done my best to vary the types of carbs and by doing so, I have managed to include a good range of complex carbs.Now you might be wondering what a complex carb is? A complex carbohydrate simply means that it takes your body longer to break it down, giving a ‘slow release’ of energy and helps to avoid any potential insulin spikes. This helps to keep you fuller for longer and keep a steady level of energy.The base of this recipe consists of vegetable broth and textured soy protein. These ingredients are added for taste, texture, and overall nourishing for the body. You may choose to make your own vegetable broth or buy it from the store. We then add herbs, tomato, avocado, lime juice, and salt and pepper. Each of these are nutritious ingredients with the tomatoes providing our bodies with significant amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, and folate. The avocados are the real winners in this dish, not only for their taste and texture but also for the health benefits including potassium, high fibre, ‘good fats,’ and vitamin E (just to name a few). These taco’s with avocado and soy protein are the perfect meal for lunch or dinner because they are:A high source of protein – 24g per serve!A real tummy filling meal.Easy to store – you could take this to work for a great lunch.Great to make for a family or small party. Perfect ‘after gym’ meal to get those carbs in.There it is! Read below for our step by step guide to creating your own mouth watering taco’s and enjoy!
- 2 tsps curry powder
- 1 tsp dried smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 5 oz textured soy protein
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 avocados (mashed)
- 1 tsp black pepper (ground)
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 12 taco shells
- 2 large tomato (diced)
- Boil the vegetable broth, add the textured soy protein, take it off the stove and put it on the side to let it soak covered for 10 min.
- Use a strainer and squeeze out as much liquid a possible from the textured soy protein.
- Preheat the olive oil in a a big skillet and saute the onion for about 5 minutes before you add the textured soy protein.
- Fry the textured soy protein for about 10 minutes and add the herbs.
- For the rest of the taco filling use a medium size bowl and add the avocado, tomato, lime juice salt and pepper.
- For serving use a taco shell and add some textured soy protein and put some avocado tomato salsa on top.