This casserole has made the rounds and you can find variations all over the internet but I still pull out my Momma’s recipe card when I make it.
My family has always enjoyed it on Christmas morning with all the necessary holiday beverages and a winter fruit salad. Hard to mess up and warm and comforting. Perfect to feed a crowd! —The Hungry Leopard
shredded cheddar cheese
slices of bread
milk + 1/2 cup milk, reserved
can of Cream of Mushroom soup
dried Italian Herbs
dry mustard powder
Freshly cracked black pepper
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Spread the bread cubes into the prepared dish.
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Brown the sausage until coked through and no longer pink. Drain the excess grease.
- Sprinkle the browned sausage over the bread cubes.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the sausage.
- Beat the eggs with 2 cups of milk, mustard powder, Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over bread/sausage/cheese. Cover the dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix the cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 cup of milk. Pour over casserole.
- Bake casserole until firm and golden brown on top, approximately 1 hour.
- Eat and Enjoy!