- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup onion, diced finely
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 16 ounces broccoli, fresh or frozen, chopped
- 1 quart water or vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened unflavored soy or almond milk
- 8 ounces vegan cheddar cheese
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons vegan butter and sauté onion, garlic and broccoli stems (if using fresh broccoli) and add salt. If using frozen, omit this step and cook all the broccoli together.
- When stems are just cooked through, add water, cheese, milk and yeast, then remove from heat.
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, heat remaining butter, add broccoli flowers, and sauté until bright green. Remove from heat immediately and add broccoli to soup pot.
- Blend using an immersion blender if you wish (it's great chunky, too). Add pepper and more salt to taste, and add cornstarch if you want it thicker.