- 14 ounces lean tender beef for frying (sirloin, rump, fillet, tenderloin)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-inch piece ginger
- 3 tablespoons for marinating plus 3 tablespoons for cooking light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon five-spice mixture
- 1 heaping cup broccoli
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Scant 1/2 cup beef stock (remains of a beef casserole or use a stock cube)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- Cut the beef into thin slices. Peel the garlic and ginger, then chop the garlic and grate the ginger. In a bowl, mix the beef with the 3 tablespoons soy sauce, oyster sauce, five-spice, garlic and ginger. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to marinate for 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Chop the broccoli into small pieces, then whisk the cornstarch into the warm stock and set aside.
- About 10 minutes before serving, heat the oil in a wok over high heat and fry the broccoli for 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
- Pour the beef and marinade into the wok and stir-fry for 1 minute over a high heat, then add the stock, the remaining soy sauce and the broccoli. Mix and cook for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened and coated all the ingredients. Serve immediately.