This is a hearty (and low sodium) vegan split pea soup, made thicker because the blended split peas soak up more broth and water than they would if left whole. There are similar recipes to this one, but I’ve added mushrooms (for taste and texture), plus textured vegetable protein and nutritional yeast (for taste and protein). It’s easy to make (mostly hands-off slow-cooking), and a great arrow to have in any vegan quiver.
- 2 cups green split peas, diced/shredded in blender
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 6 cups water
- 1.5 cup textured vegetable protein
- 2 cups nutritional yeast
- 2 low sodium vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 16 baby carrots (or 2 large carrots), chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 med-large brown mushrooms
- 2 tbsp minced garlic (or more if you're up for it)
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 4 tsp pepper
- 4 whole bay leaves
- 1 tsp Kitchen Bouquet
- Combine all ingredients (except Kitchen Bouquet) in a slow cookerand cook on low for at least 6 hours, stirring a few times. When finished, remove bay leaves, stir in Kitchen Bouquet, and serve.
- I have a 6-quart slow cooker, and this soup fills it to the top.
- Serving Size:makes about 10 2-cup servings.