- 200g sourdough bread, cut into croutons
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 600ml vegetable stock (we use bouillon)
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- pinch of golden caster sugar
- 1 bouquet garni (2 bay leaves, 1 rosemary sprig and 2 thyme sprigs tied together with string)
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 200g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 150g white cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp mushroom ketchup
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the bread on a baking tray with the caraway seeds, half the oil and some sea salt, and bake for 10-15 mins or until golden and crisp. Set aside.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, carrot and potato and cook for 5 mins, stirring frequently, until a little softened.
- STEP 3
Add the stock, tomatoes, sugar, bouquet garni, celery and seasoning and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat, simmer for 10 mins, then add the cauliflower and cabbage. Cook for 15 mins until the veg is tender.
- STEP 4
Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and mushroom ketchup. Remove the bouquet garni and serve the soup in bowls with the caraway croutons.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, September 2016