Using either Morning Star Crumbles, or Textured Soy Protein you can make a tasty and thick protein-rich Tomato Sauce for your Pasta dishes. Serve this sauce over your favorite pasta, or over pulled, cooked, Spaghetti Squash for an extra low calorie, low fat meal. At your local farmers’ market you may find locally grown organic onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Grown your own tomatoes, and can them, or buy a 28 oz can organic crushed tomatoes. We like to dehydrate our own “Sun” dried tomatoes (NO OIL) to store for the winter. The sun dried tomatoes give this recipe an extra delicious kick! If you have fresh oregano, great, otherwise organic dried oregano is fine.
- 28 Oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Onion, diced
- 1 cup white mushrooms, washed and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Fennel Seed
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Dried Oregano
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Sun Dried Tomatoes – broken (NON OIL)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Morning Star Crumbles Meal Starter (or equivalent in Textured Soy or Vegetable Protein after prepared according to directions on package)
- In a large cast iron skillet, or non-stick frying pan, with a lid, heat over medium-high. Add the olive oil and garlic, sauté for 1 minute. Add the onions stir to coat and cover for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, stir to coat and cook covered until the mushrooms are cooked. Add the morning star crumbles, prepared soy or vegetable protein, and all of the spices. Stir well, cover and cook until the crumbles are cooked through. Then add the crushed tomatoes, stir, cover and turn down after bringing to a boil, to just a simmer, covered. Cook for 15 minutes or until ready to use.