- 1 medium potato, about 8-ounces
- 3/4 cup tvp
- 2 cloves garlic, put through a garlic press
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1 teaspoon Italian sausage spices
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 3/4 cup boiling water (I used water left over from steaming the potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- Peel potato and dice into 1/2-inch pieces. Steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and mash very well with a potato masher (lumps of potato will make these crumble.)
- Combine the tvp, garlic, liquid smoke, soy sauce, olive oil, molasses, Italian sausage spices, and sage in a medium bowl. Pour boiling water over the top. (I used water left over from steaming the potato.) Set aside for 5 minutes so that the tvp will absorb the water.
- Oil a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Stir the mashed potato and chickpea flour into the tvp. Turn the mixture out onto a cutting board and press to about 1/2-inch thickness. Use a 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter to cut sausages. Carefully transfer to the baking sheet and repeat with remaining sausage dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning over after 10 minutes.